Yesterday morning our owner Drew had the opportunity to appear on CTV Morning Live Vancouver to provide a cooking demo for a classic Fall-inspired comfort food – Mac n Cheese! This completely plant-based and gluten-free dish was a hit with the CTV crew and is a perfect way to enjoy everyone’s favourite rich, satisfying fall dish without the guilt. See the full segment below, as well as the complete step by step recipe!
Drew will also be cooking this dish LIVE on stage at the Richmond World Festival in Minoru Park on Saturday, Sept 1st at 11:45 am on the Safeway Canada Cooking Stage. Admission is Free!
CTV Morning Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese Video
Recipe: Serves 6
For the cheese sauce:
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (drain water before blending)
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup diced onion, sauteed in oil for 2-3 minutes until softened
- 1 cloved garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast flakes
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup boiled or steamed carrot
- 1/4 cup boiled or steamed orange yam
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter (such as Becel or Vegan Butter)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt to Taste
Combine all ingredients in a good quality blender, such as a Vitamix. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes until sauce is smooth and consistency is simiilar to a rich cream sauce. Scrape with a spatula into a container and store until ready to use. Sauce can be frozen at this point or used right away.
For the Pasta:
- 250 gr elbow macaroni brown rice pasta, or similar gluten free pasta
- Olive Oil
Method: Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Rinse pasta and toss with olive oil, set aside until ready to use.
For the Almond Parmesan Crust:
- 2 tbsp Finely Ground Almond
- 2 tbsp Nurtitional Yeast Flakes, finely ground
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well-combined. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 375F. Warm the cheese sauce in a small sauce pot over low heat. In a mixing bowl, pour the warm cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to combiine evenly. Place the mac n cheese into an oven proof container and top with the almond parmesan crust. Bake for 20 minutes until hot throughout and remove from the oven. Garnish with freshly chopped herbs and more almond parmesan, if desired. Served immediately and enjoy!