The Sun has decided to stop playing hide and seek and we can finally host gatherings in our much loved outdoor spaces! As far as the weather report indicates, we will be having a long waited hot weekend with over 25 degrees.
Organizing a gathering with friends and family, especially of all ages, can be challenging when it comes to the menu. I hope that I can make it a little simpler for you with this gluten free, nut free, dairy free, and worry free dessert option that features one of my favourite tropical fruits that I enjoyed throughout my childhood in Hong Kong [drum roll] – watermelon! Watermelon is one of the most refreshing and hydrating fruits for hot summers, and the only thing better than watermelon is Water Melon Sorbet! I have chosen an easy peasy recipe so that kids get to be part of this process too.
Grab a bowl and a scoop of this Watermelon Sorbet and enjoy the day knowing that everyone is enjoying this tasty summer treat.
Creamy Watermelon Sorbet:
1 cup Watermelon (cut into cubes)
1 Frozen Banana
1/2 teaspoon Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
2oz Vodka or White Rum (Optional)
- Combine watermelon cubes, banana, and lime juice (with 2oz Vodka or White Rum optional) in a blender
- Blend it until there is a smooth consistency
- Pour the mixture into any container
- Freeze for one hour and then scrape the ice crystals with a butter knife
- Freeze again for 3 to 4 hours, and you are ready to serve!
Friendly Reminder: If you add Vodka, make sure you make labels for the “Adult’s Sorbet” and “Kid’s Sorbet!”
- Every part of watermelon is edible – yes even the seeds and the rind (although not many people are a fan of either).
- It is common to see Watermelons in round shape with red or pink flesh. However, they are also cultivated in cube shaped and sometimes with yellow flesh. Originally, this was done to make the melons easier to pack and travel, but the novelty of the cubic watermelon makes its value goes up to double the price of a normal round shaped watermelon.